Friday, November 6, 2009

Newfound Optimism


Chronicles from The Art of Happiness: Newfound Optimism
Originally uploaded by lorenzodom

New York City, November 4, 2009:

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.”
- To a Mouse, Robert Burns


Almost a year ago, on my 41st birthday on November 22, I made a vow to do something positive and begin a new blog, The Art of Happiness.

My intentions were to mount a goodhearted rebellion, to proselytize at the pulpit of the rising sun, to posit the good against all the bad that we are bombarded with on a daily basis by the media.

Alas, I could not keep up and so my efforts went to the wayside. So goes the best laid plans.

Nonetheless and allthemore, after reading about “10 Bodies Found in Home of Cleveland Rapist,” “Another NYU Student Commits Suicide,” and “Another NYC Police Officer Avoids DWI Blood Test After Killing Pedestrian” this morning, I am once again inspired to renew my efforts.

“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.”
Vince Lombardi


Thus, for lack of time to research and write about any good news, I’ve decided to share some personal good news, for now.

Yesterday, my dear friend Sj came by my office to share her good news—she had accomplished a long held dream of running and finishing the New York Marathon.

Needless to say, I was elated for her and decided to write her a letter in commemoration of her achievement. I’m sharing that letter here to spread the good news.

Date: November 3, 2009
Subject: Say Goodbye to The Old You

Sj,

I just wanted to thank you for stopping by to share a little bit of your glory with me today. I am honored and happy that you made an effort to include me in your shining moment, especially since it inspired me.

When I received my medal exactly 16 years ago, I arrogantly dismissed its value, feeling that the accomplishment was enough and that this trinket was meaningless.

However, I still have my medal and ribbon, and recently I hung it around the boys bunkbed post, because Robert, my running partner back then in 1993, suggested, as I was packing up to move out of 215 W 108th, that it might inspire the boys if I shared it with them.

After seeing yours around your neck this afternoon I fully understand what he meant, because it inspired me.

Both my sister Sabina and Chelsea have been great motivators lately. My lil' sista has been periodically sending me updates on her K-bell training and diet; and my darling girlfriend has been gently pushing me to get some exercise, all the while setting the example by going to the gym whenever possible herself.

That's why although I was still sick (and exhausted after a week of having the boys) I ran a mile on Sunday, and two miles downstairs in our gym yesterday.

Today, however, I pushed myself after hearing the story of your marathon run and ran three miles non-stop today. It wasn't easy, but I figured if Sj can be disciplined enough to train for all those months, and push herself all the way on the big day, the least I can do is run three measly miles.

Thank you for that push. I really needed it.

I am sincerely very proud of you and extremely happy for you. I can readily see that you are a new person indeed, you not only brim with confidence—your newfound optimism instills it, and that is an amazing accomplishment in and of itself.

L

No comments: